Friday 24 April 2009

Extracting the dust......


Today I've been to Manchester, to Calumet, to get my dusty chip cleaned, by a lovely man named Chris. Every Friday he sits and cleans dozens of camera chips, he's cleaned mine at least three times now and I'll tell you it beats trying to do it yourself. I've had a go at the chip cleaning lark, but to be honest I much prefer someone with the skill and knowledge to do it for me. Dust is becoming a bit of a bug bear with me, it just seems that I'm being forced to change lenses in some pretty crappy environments. It's down to the type of work I'm getting, a lot of industrial settings that are inherently dusty. So what can I do to keep the visits to Chris to a minimum, I always take the lens off the camera with the camera pointing down, so nothing can drop into the shutter-box, I try my damnedest to keep my lenses clean, especially the rear elements, I give the shutter-box and chip a good blast from the pocket rocket blower after every shoot. What more can you do. I know that the latest and greatest Canon cameras have the shaking filter that should get rid of most dust, but it's not going to get rid of sticky pollen dust and a myriad of other types of dust that stick like glue to the filter. I think the dust problem will be around for a good while yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried a Dyson with the sensor cleaning attachment?

See here:
http://www.dyson.co.uk/store/parts.asp?accessory=ACC-DC16STUBBORNDIRTBRUSH&product=DC16-SY-STD