Thursday 3 January 2013

New Modifiers...



Calumet do a 27" Beauty Dish, amongst other sizes, on Black Friday they were half price, so I splashed a little cash. The dish comes with a bonnet diffuser but you need to buy an adapter to fit to your make of flash head, I've used the dish shooting some product shots,  but today, as my son was available, I thought I'd do some head shot tests with it. I used two 200mm x 900mm Strip Boxes, behind and to each side of him to give some rim light.



I have to admit I like this beauty dish, it's a good 10 inches bigger than my present beauty dish, it give a great soft light, with the bonnet diffuser, without the bonnet its a much harder light, coverage is very good, there is a grid available and I'm thinking that'll be another purchase very soon.



This shot is with the bonnet off, previous two were with.


The strip boxes I got off of ebay, £36 each, with grids and postage, and they came from China, unfortunately the seller has changed from photo-equipment too fashion clothing, but the link at the top of the post will take you to an e-bay seller in the UK who is selling the same units for only a little more. They are quite robust and I have been using them a great deal, travelling with them too locations as well as studio work. The grids are a god send, for directional lighting, laying one on the floor, without the grid, aimed at a background gives a great graduation effect. I could have spent an awful lot more on named brand strip boxes, but I don't think the quality can be that much better than these units.


My eldest can ham it up with the best of them, hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil...

No comments: